Starting a campaign is easy but reaching to your audience is a real challenge in every campaign.
In this blog post, you’ll learn how to do Google ads targeting and ways to improve it.
Have you given deep thought about it?
Google Ads is one of the strongest marketing platforms that allow you to target the audience in the best possible way.
Your niche could be anything. But you have all the possible options available for targeting. It starts with prospecting leads (Awareness campaigns help into it) to reaching real interested audiences (Re-marketing & Customer match).
We have multiple ways of targeting, let us discuss further before exploring it. The primary methods are:
- Audience targeting: Audience targeting focuses on an interest-based approach. You can generate better leads by targeting a better audience.
- Content Targeting: This allows you to reach people based on content interest.
Audience targeting also has multiple factors like:
- Demographic targeting: It works well in awareness campaigns like on the basis of their Age, Parental status, and income.
- Interest Targeting: targeting based on habits and previous purchase intent.
- Re-marketing: someone who has already engaged with your business is having a high probability or chances of getting converted.
Content targeting I prefer for placement basis like:
- Placement Targeting: If you are aware of where your potential leads are spending time, you can show your ads on the same sites, apps, and videos. You can also exclude a list of websites, apps, or videos that is not matching your requirement. Let us suppose you are promoting cricket sports niche then you can target sites & apps with cricket info like Cricbuzz, Espn, or Sports keeda.
Selecting the type of audience
Based on interest, intent, and demographics information, the Google algorithm decides or creates audiences. You have a wide range of options as per your campaign types like Search, Display, and video campaigns. Let us try to understand in detail:
Re-marketing: Approaching your audience who have interacted before with your business. Chances of better interaction or conversion are always higher.
Similar Audiences: this is decided based on your website visitors; Google ads create a list of lookalike audiences.
Affinity: Habits and interests create affinity audiences for display campaigns. Like someone like sports, it will come under the sports affinity list.
Detail Demographics: if you have previously done research data or used long term facts.
Re-marketing: People who previously interacted with your business
Affinity audience: this comes with your interest in a particular video, your habits, and the current lifestyle that you are living. Affinity audience campaign objective is to warm-up your audience based on their behavior.
Re-marketing: you can keep your YouTube audience data also if someone has interacted with your videos.
Intent and life events: Someone got married recently, become parents, graduating from university, or having some intent of buying products and services.
What kind of Audience has better chances of conversion?
A conversion has many influencing factors like someone age that varies in Google ads demographics range, location (over the time I have felt that very location has different potential and even with country and city conversion chances increases or decreases).
That is why every company approach is towards data-driven marketing because as much filtered data you have your chances of conversion increase.
Google keeps audiences in different groups based on their behavior. If you talk about interest-based targeting, it mainly divides into two categories like
- In-Market Audiences: someone who is actively looking for something and matches your product interest range will come into your In-market audiences. There are high chances this kind of audience converts smoothly. But you must provide them more ideas about your product and services for giving a better chance of your offering.
- Affinity Audiences: Affinity means similar kind of interest that could be anything like your interest in a similar product, apps, and videos as Google collects all the data and puts you into their affinity list. It takes time as compare to In-market audiences, but the potential is high.
Re-marketing and Customer match: I love re-marketing and customer match audience as it is very close to conversion.
My campaign spent count is going to touch 100 Million soon, and most of my conversions coming from re-marketing; the reason is product awareness is high.
Just need one push, or you can say anything specific that triggers the user’s mind, and he will be ready to buy your stuff.
Targeting is one of the most effective ways of marketing. Your chances of reaching the quality audience are higher those shows interest in your business.
If you can reach a quality audience, you can drive more sales for your business.
If you compare three campaigns like search, Display, and video, I will prefer to keep the Display campaign first for audience targeting, then video campaign, and at last, you can keep search campaign.
We have a bunch of options available for targeting via different sources and mediums.
We need to narrow down and remain very specific as per our objective of the campaign. Still, you need to identify interests, goals, behaviours, and accordingly, you can create your campaign.
Pranav works with brands creating rock solid online marketing strategies with expertise on lead generation.